Phone store

Berwyn man charged with theft from local cell phone store: Feds

CHICAGO — A 33-year-old Berwyn man has been indicted by a federal grand jury in connection with the cell phone store robberies in suburban Chicago.

Federal officials said Thursday that Ocie Banks, Jr. used a weapon in the thefts of three cellphones in Berwyn and Cicero in late 2020 and early 2021, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois said.

The indictment charges Banks with three counts of robbery, one count of attempted robbery and four counts of carrying, using and brandishing a weapon in a violent crime, according to a published press release. Friday.

Find out what’s going on in Oak Park – River Forest with free real-time Patch updates.

Banks pleaded not guilty at his arraignment hearing Thursday in Chicago.

Among the incidents recorded in the indictment was the attempted robbery of a Metro PCS store in Berwyn on January 15, 2021, when police said the suspect showed a weapon at the store in the 6300 block of Cermak, demanded money but did not successful, Berwyn Police said last year.

Find out what’s going on in Oak Park – River Forest with free real-time Patch updates.

Police said earlier today that a suspect robbed another Metro PCS store in Cicero and police said video surveillance matched the same suspect in both incidents.

To request removal of your name from an arrest report, submit these required elements for [email protected]

Response rules:

  • Be respectful. It is a space for friendly local exchanges. No racist, discriminatory, vulgar or threatening language will be tolerated.
  • Be transparent. Use your real name and confirm your claims.
  • Keep it local and relevant. Make sure your answers stay on topic.
  • Review the Patch Community Rules.