The use of desktop computers has declined in recent years, with many people adapting to more mobile solutions such as laptops and tablets. However, desktop computers are still necessary in work environments and certain professions. Therefore, you may need to access your PC through your mobile device. This is especially true if you work from home and don’t want your PC cluttering up your desk, or if you need to send files you’ve been working on without going to the office.
Remote access to your PC from your mobile device is easy and accessible once you have the right applications and know-how.
Here is how you can remotely access your PC from your mobile device.
How can I access my PC remotely?
There are many ways to remotely connect to your PC. However, you need to follow some basic steps first before you can access it.
Allow remote access
It’s important to make sure your PC is configured to allow remote access before moving on to the next steps. On your computer, go to your settings and find System > Remote Desktop. Make sure Enable Remote Desktop is enabled. Make a note of the PC name, as you will need it later when setting up the connection.
Navigate remote access settings
Once you’ve allowed remote access, return to your settings page and choose Advanced Settings. Look for the Configure Network Level Authentication box and make sure it is enabled. Enabling this feature allows an extra layer of security against malicious and uninvited users who attempt to use your PC.
An administrative user account on your PC has remote access by default. When logging in, it is best to use this account to ensure access. However, if you want to give access to another account, click on Select users who can remotely access this PC and add the username of the account.
How to Remotely Access Your Computer from an iPhone or Android
To access your PC from your iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, etc.), first download and install the Remote Desktop app from the Apple App Store on your device. Open the app and choose the Add PC option. Next, enter the following information in the designated fields:
- For PC name, add the name of the computer you are using or its IP address.
- In User Account, enter the username you want to use.
- The Friendly Name section is used if you want to add a different name for your connection.
- If your organization uses a remote desktop gateway to secure remote connections, you will need to configure the Gateway option.
- The Device and Audio Redirection section is where you select what you will use in the connection, including audio features, camera, clipboard, and storage.
- When you’re done with all sections, tap Save.
Once you have saved your information, the computer will be present in the application. The first time you tap it, the app may ask you to verify the connection.
When you’re in the app, you’ll be able to do anything you could do if you were working on your desktop. To end your current session, tap Disconnect from all PCs.
Android’s Remote Desktop app works the same way as iPhone; however, the configuration is slightly different.
- First, download the Remote Desktop app from your Google Play Store. Tap the + icon in the corner and choose Desktop.
- If you are near your PC, the app will automatically start looking for its information and can retrieve it for you. Otherwise, choose Add manually to enter the following information in the fields:
- In the PC Name field, enter the name or IP address of the computer.
- For Username, choose the selection that says “Enter each time” and continue or tap Add User Account, then enter username and password.
- If your organization uses the Remote Desktop Gateway, Show additional options gives you the option to add a gateway. You can also choose to hear audio from your PC on your mobile device.
- Once you have entered all the information in the fields, click Save.
- The PC name and icon will now be displayed in the app. Click the icon. If you receive a message that the certificate is not verified, simply check the box Never prompt to connect to this PC again, then click Connect.
- Once connected, you can then choose Start New to start another remote session on another PC.
- To disconnect your current session, tap the X in the corner of the screen thumbnail.
What is Remote PC Access Software?
Remote PC Access software allows a local user to connect to a remote computer, network or system. This software enables an accessible connection between two or more systems on separate networks. Remote access software is typically installed on a computer to be accessed through a separate device or system, either over the Internet or through a network, such as a VPN.
Benefits of PC Access Software
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many businesses have quickly adopted remote PC access software to continue their operations. However, remote access software has many additional benefits that will last beyond the pandemic.
“With many employees working from home, the capabilities that remote desktop management offers employers have become tremendous,” said Sahin Boydas, CEO and Founder of RemoteTeam.com. “When distributed employees are stuck during their daily activities, employers can design a comprehensive education and training program using remote office management resources to help employees access training, get direct help from supervisors and have access to a wide range of cloud resources.”
There are many reasons why PC access software can improve your business operations, including the following:
- Security. The biggest risk when using remote PC access software is the potential for unauthorized access to your desktop. However, most remote PC access software uses different levels of protection to protect your data. Not exceeding the recommended number of devices, creating strong passwords, and using multi-step authentication tools can reduce the risk of security threats.
- Remote Support. If you have any issues with your software, many brands offer 24/7 email and live chat support. Other features supported by Access PC software include remotely waking and rebooting your devices, and transferring files between devices.
- Cross-platform accessibility. From a distance PC access software allows various applications to run on different devices. It doesn’t matter if you use a Windows computer and an iPhone to remotely access your computer, the platforms sync up for accessibility.
- The integration. With remote PC access software, you can merge other business applications you use into the software, such as Google Workspace, Zendesk, and Jira.
- Scalability. You can add or remove devices as you see fit from your computer or desktop. You can have multiple devices routed to your device to use.
- Logs and reports. You can see different devices and users as remote PC access software gives you web activity reports.
- Ability to use multiple monitors. No matter how many screens you have on your desktop, you can view the content of each from your mobile device.
- Single access. Whether you need to give someone access just for a day or just once, PC access software lets you grant them instant access without worrying that they might come back later and access information. sensitive.
Best PC Access Software
Our selection of different remote PC access software highlights the key features of the brands that are best suited for your business. Whether you need software for a particular system or want easy access, there are several options. Consider the following when choosing the best PC access software for your business:
- Ease of implementation
- Customizable features and plans
- Security settings level
- Choice of browser-based or installation-based software
- The type of support available
- Ability to transfer files or print offsite